Sunday, December 18, 2011

Hipppie Soup (not just for hippies!)

Once upon a time, I worked at a summer camp. Not just any summer camp - Sierra Service Project. Which is a totally major service project, where high school kids go rebuild houses on an indian reservation for a week. I worked there for three summers, after attending as an awkward high school kid for 5 summers.

And I didn't just work there. I was a chef*. I was also a hippie. We didn't give people napkins. We didn't use paper plates. We cooked in giant vats. We made chocolate chip cookies and put a slice of bread in the bag to keep them from getting stale. Some kids thought the bread was for anyone who didn't like cookies. I didn't shower every day. I didn't shave my legs for weeks, y'all. SSP is where I became Greenzo.

True story.

*term used loosely.

Soup Santa came to SSP on Sundays. We made this soup, and it was incredible. This is my first time making it without multiplying the recipe to feed 60 hungry teenagers. So let's go!

Hippie Soup, from my darling co-chef, Laureen, without whom, I would never measure anything.

Ingrediences:

2 tbsp oil for sauteing
1 clove garlic, minced (I used 3)
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped (I used 3)
1 carrot, chopped (I used like 10 baby carrots)
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
3/4 cup uncooked rice
1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes, chopped
Salt to taste
lots of freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
3 cups hot milk (I used soy)



























Instructions:
Heat oil in a heavy pot and sauté garlic, onion, celery and carrot until onion is translucent.




























Add flour and sauté, stirring, until it’s a little toasty.






















Admire your measuring spoon. And your manicure.
























Add the uncooked rice, and about 2 cups water.





Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, herbs and  cook at least 45 minutes (until rice is done). I cooked it for an hour.
Remove from heat. Add milk and more salt and pepper if needed. Heat through but do not let boil.

Yield: 6 servings
Enjoy!  (If you burn the rice, say it's Cajun flavoring.) Serve with bread you made from scratch (no bigs).



What we learned: don't use soy milk - it makes it strangely sweet, even though you used unflavored soy milk. Use heavy cream instead. And don't be lactose intolerant. And drink champagne while you cook. Always.

Love,

Soup Santa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some soupy love!