Monday, December 26, 2011

Not That Exciting Chicken Soup

Sometimes you have to make soup because you haven't been to the grocery store in a few weeks, because it was Christmas and all you have in the house are the leftovers from your ambitious and impressive chicken stock adventure, some baklava from a really too nice friend, and chocolates from your sweet husband.

Your sweet, sweet husband who got you tickets to the friggin' ballet for Christmas.

I die.



Anyway. It was creepy cold and foggy today. So I made chicken soup today. And I made my husband's friends eat it, too. They showered me with compliments.


Ingrediences:
2 T olive oil
1/2 white onion, chopped/diced/whatever
splash of white wine
1/2 cup chopped carrots
2-3 cups shredded chicken, cooked.
1/2 cup diced celery
3 ice cubes of chicken stock
some spaghetti, broken in half
water to cover


You know what this all looks like, so I didn't take pictures. Also, I forgot to take pictures.

SOUP TIME
Heat your olive oil, toss in the onion until brownish. Splash with white wine and let cook until it smells so good you can't deal. Add the carrots, chicken, celery and stock. Bring to a boil, then drop your pasta.

What we learned:

I used celery I bought 3 weeks ago, diced, blanched and then froze. My husband and his nice friends were the guinea pigs for this technique. The results were negligible.

Also, taste your food. Taste it all the time. I even saw Carla Hall (Top Chef finalist and fantastic glasses wearer) on the Chew (new on NBC) taste RAW KUGEL, which is gross when it is cooked, but also totally has raw eggs in it. She needs to taste it because it's important to know what's going on. I have a problem with this, because I hate to burn my tongue. And I always burn my tongue when I taste soup.

But, I will do anything for soup.

So I have a burnt tongue, and a properly seasoned soup. Victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some soupy love!