Thursday, April 26, 2012

Turkey Chili for when it's Chilly

It's cold in April here. I live in San Francisco. I used to live in Southern California. I used to not own rainboots, or a real coat. But now I live in San Francisco, where even when it's sunny out, it's pretty chilly... unless you are walking 18,000 steps a day to try to win your company's wellness challenge...

Then it's chilly with a hint of sweaty. But your work clothes can be dry cleaned, and soon they will fit better. Trust.

Especially if you eat such healthy things as Turkey Chili for when it's Chilly. It's a stick-to-your-ribs, warm you up, keep you smiling chili that would be awesome on a hot dog.


Hot dogs aren't GENERALLY considered part of a fitness meal... but it's COLD OUT!

But I'm getting of topic. What you should really do is make some chili.

INGREDIENCES
loosely translated from the kind folks at the Food Network
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onions (leftover from the too many onions you sliced for your French Onion Soup
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped yellow bell peppers
1 pound ground turkey
1 (28-ounce) can crushed organic tomatoes, undrained
1 (16-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Chalula)
11/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Brown your meat, with the onions and bell peppers.
When you brown your turkey, consider pot size. This is two batches worth of turkey. I really thought it would all fit in the one pot...
Add the rest of the ingredients.
Harsh Realities: I didn't measure ANYTHING.
Ha! This is one batch. I split it into two pots... two batches totally would have fit.
Do you see the nutrition? DO YOU SEE IT??



If you're gluten-free, look away. Go back and look at the nutrition in the pot.
You should serve it with these with homemade English muffies.

I'm sorry if you are gluten intolerant. I sometimes wonder if I really tolerate gluten, or if I should try giving it up.

BUT LOOK AT THEM. Is that really a reality I want to explore?
I will never apologize for this.


















Nope. Just going on, eating the gluten. Hoping for the best.


Enjoy your chili! And your fitness.
XOXO.
Soup Santa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me some soupy love!