Sunday, March 4, 2012

Dueling Emotions... or, Asparagus and Broccoli Soup with Herbed Goat Cheese

There used to be a commercial, I'm not even sure what for, but it had these women who kept saying they wanted to go to the zoo, but they couldn't because they were out of olive oil. Or they wanted to play in the backyard, but they ran out of toilet paper.

I want to take a bubble bath, but I got a new cookbook and I want soup and biscuits.

I need to both watch The Real Housewives of Everywhere and to make soup, but I have no TV in my kitchen.
I want to eat soup, but I ALSO want to eat melty chocolate cake, but my kitchen is small and I don't have the necessary ingredients... and I need to watch the Housewives.
So many dueling emotions.


I want to drink champagne. But I gave up drinking for lent, except on Fridays and Saturdays.

I am not very good at lent.



I want to cook steak for my husband... but we are out of steak. I am NOT out of broccoli, asparagus and goat cheese.




Broccoli, Asparagus and Herbed Goat Cheese Soup
loosely translated from here (Thanks, Giada!)
ingrediences
3 cups of trimmed asparagus, cut into 1"-ish pieces
4 cups of broccoli florets
4 T goat cheese
1 T chopped fresh basil, or dried, if you're the kind of girl who doesn't have fresh today (I'm totes that kind of girl)
A squeeze of lemon juice
4 cups of chicken stock (or, 4 cubes of your homemade chicken stock ice cubes plus enough water to make 4 cups)
2 T unsalted butter
1 more T of chopped fresh basil
1 medium diced onion (harsh realities: I keep diced onion in a baggie in my freezer. there are white, red and yellow onions in there. there, i said it. they work just fine)


Roast them veggies with some EVOO and S&P at 350 for about 15 minutes. do not burn yourself.





























While they roast away, prepare the herbed goat cheese:


Smoosh the goat cheese and basil with the lemon juice and some S&P in a bowl.

Smoosh it.

Using your fancy William-Sonoma cookie scoop, scoop up 4 1"-ish balls of cheese and put on a plate in the fridge to set.





























In your soup pot (you don't need a huge one), heat the butter and sweat the onion.




Add the veggies and stock, and the basil. Bring to a simmer, for about 15 minutes. 































Then blennnnnnnnnd it with an immersion blender. Perfection.






























It's not super beautiful in the pot... but it's beautiful in your mouth. I promise.


Soup Santa doesn't lie.



Best served with these Whole Wheat Honey and Goat Cheese Drop Biscuits, from my brand new, signed copy of The Joy The Baker Cookbook, which I got today from Omnivore Books, which is officially my new obsession.

You should visit. http://omnivorebooks.com/. Also, I met JOY THE BAKER today. No bigs/ totally bigs. She wrote about soup inside my copy of her book.


Harsh realities: when you're hurrying to put dinner on the table (wow, you're such a good wife!) and you also need to photograph said dinner for your silly little soupy blog, catastrophes can happen.

Like your best fruit bowl can swan dive into oblivion.


No produce was harmed (purposefully) in the making of this blog... except for the ones I ate....

anyway.

Doesn't the table look pretty? No broken bowls here!
My husband waits patiently to enjoy his soup supper.



Very serious biscuit preparation.

These biscuits are sweet and salty. Like my husband.
They match the tangy goat cheese glob that melts into the veggie goodness of this soup. This soup is totally healthy, but feels extra decadent, on account of the glob of goat cheese in the middle.

Dueling soup-motions. 

Soup Sunday: you're doing it right.

1 comment:

  1. Um...this looks delish. I will be trying both of these soon. Also, I'm glad you loved Omnivore Books. Its Fab.

    ReplyDelete

Send me some soupy love!